In light of recent events, we want to take some time to share how the translation industry is coming together to help the Ukrainian people and those affected by the situation.
Let’s take a look at the initiatives and organizations that could use support and the incredible work translators and interpreters are doing to keep the information and news flowing—including how our team at Terra Translations is currently helping.
How Translators and Interpreters are Getting Involved
Translators are offering a helping hand to the Ukrainian people in a variety of different ways. Translation industry experts are translating news broadcasts, providing medical translation assistance for those wounded and receiving care in foreign hospitals, and offering translation support for legal issues like immigration. With so many refugees fleeing to other countries, there’s a great need for translators around the world who can help make the process of receiving aid easier.
Countless professionals in the translation space are teaming up to figure out how they can best be of service to those in need. For example, a handful of Polish translation organizations have compiled a database of Polish translators and interpreters for refugees that are in Poland and require language assistance. The Translation Vendor Management LinkedIn Group is collecting contact information for translators from Ukraine who have been impacted by the war in Ukraine and are looking for freelance work.
Another critical initiative comes from Kate Tsurkan, a translator who lives in Chernivtsi, Ukraine. She called on social media to have more Ukrainian writers published in English to expand their reach and elevate their voices. To accomplish this, the help of translators is required.
Organizations to Support
Many different organizations are stepping in to provide support to the Ukrainian people. Here are a few examples of organizations in the translation space who are devoting resources to assist Ukraine, some of which are currently looking for additional translators to support them in their efforts.
- FIT Europe is providing translation and interpreting support.
- Translators without Borders is known for offering translation and interpreting aid regarding global humanitarian efforts. They’re currently in need of translators who can help with Ukrainian, Russian, Polish, Hungarian, Czech, Romanian, Moldovan, and German translations.
- Respond: Crisis Translation focuses on supporting NGOs, nonprofits, human rights groups, asylum lawyers, and migrants with translation or interpreting work. They are currently looking for Russian and Ukrainian translators to assist them in their efforts.
- Translating for Humanity is a Romanian initiative that offers pro bono medical translations. They are in the process of developing a database of Ukrainian — Romanian translators who can assist incoming refugees in Romania.
Other initiatives not directly related to translation that need support in the form of donations and volunteers include:
- Ukraine Family Scheme visa
- Migrant Help
- Hungarian Helsinki Committee
- Code for Romania
- We Help Ukraine
- Ukrainian Red Cross
- The UN Refugee Agency
- Save the Children
- Malteser International
- B Strong
- Rehab Recovery
How Our Team is Providing Aid
At our core, Terra exists to connect the global community. We believe everyone deserves opportunities and access to information in order to live authentic, fulfilled lives. For our partners, colleagues, and friends in Ukraine, their opportunities and their democracy are being threatened at an incomprehensible level. To our Ukrainian partners and all of those seeking peace, we stand with you.
We encourage our global colleagues and partners to support Doctors without Borders, the Ukrainian Red Cross or Razom to directly aid the people of Ukraine. Terra is making donations to these organizations in an effort to reinforce words with action.
Our thoughts are with the people of Ukraine and we will continue to extend our support throughout this trying time.